Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Yes I Take Karate, No, I Am Not Karate Kid



I was looking for something to do that would keep me in shape and not be boring. That is the simple answer to the question "Why the hell are you taking karate?" I have never been in a fight, never taken any sports seriously, don't really have a big competitive side (although i like to talk alot of trash) and really had no motivation to get in shape. Since I have been living on my own for the past 7 or 8 months, I have been a sporadic lifter of weight and an even more sporadic runner, that is when I'm not watching tv or drinking beer. The phrase 'workout routine' is something that I seem to write down at least once every few months on a calendar or piece of paper or napkin in a bar but i always seem to forget what it actually means. I read a bit and love to cook but the exercise part just never seems to fit into my schedule.

About 2 months ago me and my friend Matt started really studying for the LEED exam and I decided to give up tv and beer and was left with a little void there to fill. I needed something to do that would keep me entertained and help with my mental awareness and also some kind of disconnect between work and going to study. I am realizing now how important exercising is at keeping me happy, energetic, and motivated to get things done. I also like kicking and punching the hell out of things after work and doing pushups (oddly enough). So, I have been going for about a month and a half now and I just got my first belt which is yellow (no, it is not pink like everyone keeps asking me). This is a very physical thing to do and also very challenging mentally. Trying to tell the difference between being too weak to do another pushup or kick or punch and my mind telling me that I can't was a real struggle to get through but I think I made it. Now, if i can only keep it up. I know that i'm in trouble when I start writing "go to karate class" on napkins in bars.



No comments: